Sudan I. Maccio, LLM
Sudan Maccio is an energy attorney who has worked in house in the Oil and Gas industry 22 years. He started his career in Venezuela and has represented operators and oilfield services companies doing business in Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Texas and Louisiana. Sudan Maccio recently served as Assistant General Counsel for Eni Petroleum (US subsidiary of Eni S.p.A, Italian multinational energy company, based in Houston), providing advice in offshore E&P operations in the Gulf of Mexico.
Sudan Maccio is based in Houston but serves clients internationally with a focus on Latin America.
- International Petroleum Transactions and Joint Ventures
- Oil Field Services Transactions and Advanced Risk Allocation
- EPC Projects related to oil & gas and refining operations
- Midstream Services
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Divestitures and Due Diligence
- International Business Transactions
- General Counsel Services
- Regularly negotiate and draft all aspects of acquisition and divestiture of offshore blocks in the US Gulf of Mexico
- Regularly negotiate and draft rig contracts (offshore day-work) and rig sharing agreements between operators
- Regularly negotiate and draft, and provide legal advice to the administration of, Production Handling Agreements
- Regularly negotiate and draft Joint Operating Agreements
- Provide legal advice to the administration of Joint Operating Agreements including joint account disputes, recoupments and non-consent operations penalties and disputes and accounting provisions
- Regularly negotiate and draft master services agreements for procurement of goods and services for oilfield operations. Including updating and implementing model contracts to be used across multinational operations
- Participated in the drafting and comments to all documents required for acquisition of exploration rights internationally
- Lead attorney in the negotiation, drafting and editing of multi-party, multi million-dollar pipeline crude export project from an offshore deep water spar
- Regularly negotiate and draft EPC contracts for Refinery Projects and Gas Treatment Plan
- Negotiate and draft agreements related to the acquisition of refining assets and long term supply agreements
- Coordinate internal investigations for ethics violations committed at international affiliates of publicly traded companies
- Serve a General Counsel of an international affiliate of a publicly traded company
- Serve as counsel for Venezuela´s national oil company in international bid rounds for granting operating services agreements to international oil & gas operators
• University of Illinois, College of Law, LL.M., 1998
• Universidad Católica del Táchira, Venezuela J.D., 1993
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
• State Bar of Texas, 2008
• Venezuela (Colegio de Abogados), 1994
HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
• International Law Section, Houston Bar Association – Advisory Board Member
• Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
• Houston Bar Association, International Law Section
SPEECHES AND CONFERENCES:
- Panelist. Latin Lawyer 8th Annual Oil & Gas Conference, Mexico City, May 18, 2017
- “Nuts & Bolts”, In-House Counsel Panel. The State Bar of Texas, 29th Annual International Law Institute, Houston, Texas, February 23 – 24, 2017
- Round Table Panel. Being a General Counsel in a Compliance Driven Environment. Norton Rose Fulbright. Houston TX, September 18, 2014
- Property Damages Risks of the Operator in Offshore Operations. International Law Institute. International Oil and Gas Development, Washington DC, May 5 to 16, 2014.
- Globalization of the Joint Operating Agreement, Point/Counterpoint. Joint presentation at the Houston Association of Professional Landman. Houston, TX, November 7, 2013.
- Risk Allocation in Oil & Gas Contracts Offshore. 3rd Annual Upstream Oil and Gas Contract Management. Marcus Evans, Renaissance Hotel, Houston, TX, March 13, 2013.
- Law and International Practice in the Exploration and Production of Hydrocarbons Seminar, Universidad de la Sabana, Bogotá, Colombia, November 14, 2009.
- Oilfields Services Risk Profile, International Oil and Gas Contracts and the Mexican Energy Reform Seminar, University of Houston and Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, Mexico City, June 26-27 2009
Fluent in Spanish, English and Italian